Every comprehensive course is a challenge for the teachers as well as the learners, leaving a profound impact on them through the learning process. There are a number of situations that an educator and the learners have to deal with in a classroom, which might leave a negative impact on both sets of participants. However, it is essential for the learners and the educator to get rid of any such negative situations for the creation of an atmosphere conducive for the development of the teaching-learning procedure, especially during intensive courses like the TEFL certification courses.
In the following lines, we will have a look at the different types of challenging classroom situations and the ways to overcome them.
- Classroom conflicts and conflict management
One of the most common challenges faced by the educators and the learners in a classroom is the conflict on certain matters between the two parties. At times, the teachers and the students cannot meet on a common solution to a problem related to the course and there may be a conflict between them. This is where the conflict management strategies come into use.
Some of the important conflict management strategies, which help in the eradication of the problems in a classroom, can be obtained from the following means.
- Both the teachers and students need to cool off and take things easy in the future
- Maintain the peace in the class and speak to the person directly and try to pacify the situation
- Use the methodology of active listening which helps in understanding the other person and come to a resolution
- Find a feasible solution together
This is probably the most important attribute that influence the conflicts in a classroom. The lack of patience in the educators and more importantly the learners make situations difficult to handle and give rise to conflicts. So, the need to keep patience is profound for both the sides involved in the conflict. Once the resolution is reached between the two parties, there is also need to keep patience afterwards and maintain it for the rest of the class.
- Brainstorm for a healthy classroom
The classroom is a place where conflicts can arise and can also be resolved. The need for the students and the teachers to come in co-ordination and develop strategies for a better condition in the classroom is quite crucial for both the students and the educator. This is where a brainstorming session can be of great benefit. Regular brainstorming sessions help in finding feasible solutions for avoiding conflicts and maintain a friendly atmosphere in the classroom, which is an ardent necessity for courses as comprehensive as the TEFL Certification Courses.
- Backup plans for support
In case of classroom conflicts that can’t be resolved and are persistent for a significant amount of time, there is need for certain backup plans to be implemented to resolve classroom conflicts. These backup plans are to be implemented in the most adverse of situations and can be of the following types.
- To consult with the counsellor for finding a feasible solution which will help in the eradication of prolonged conflicts in a classroom
- To make the learners aware of the ill effects of conflicts and create awareness in the class through various supplemental programs
- Set expectations in the class and help the learners to achieve them without much of a hassle
- Get regular feedback regarding the class and its environment from the learners and rectify if anything is wrong
The impact of the classroom conflicts is immense on both the educator and the learner, especially in the case of a comprehensive course like the TEFL Certification Courses. So it is very important to utilise the aforementioned techniques and methodologies for better conflict management. It also induces proper maintenance of the course curriculum, directed towards the successful completion of the course and development of a viable teaching-learning procedure.