In reality, the Communicative Method is a comprehensive umbrella term rather than a specific teaching methodology. A language class has to be communicative enough as the basic purpose of the language is communication – be it verbal or written. When you become an ESL teacher after completing a TEFL course, you will be getting different types of learners all across the globe.
In the Communicative Approach, the foremost objective is to present a topic in context as natural as possible. The language gains meaning only in context. The language being used to communicate must be suitable to the situation and the learner needs to distinguish between a formal and an informal style.
What Do You Mean By Communicative Activities?
Communicative activities are important. Communicative activities are the fluency-based activities. The activities are generally based around a realistic situation, means an event that relates to the students. This may involve learners practicing a particular grammatical form sometimes. These situations can be anything, like a group of friends discussing holiday plans to any other real-life incidents. Typical actions of this method are: games, problem-solving tasks, and role-play.
Let’s Discuss the Principles of the Communicative Approach
Here are the basic ideologies of the Communicative Approach:
- As a skilled ESL teacher, you should uplift your students’ interest from the beginning of the lesson as the motivation is essential.
- Communicative activities are crucial which should be accessible in a condition or context along with a communicative purpose.
- Students must have continuous communication with the target language.
- The topics are being selected and categorized regarding age, requirements, level, and students’ attention.
- A teacher is a guide, an implementor and an instructor.
- Development of the four basic areas – speaking, listening, reading and writing is being unified from the beginning as communication assimilates the different skills.
- Trial and error method is being considered a part of the learning process.
Structure and Techniques of Communicative Language Teaching
Well, learning a language is interactive, learner-centric and content-based. Following are the techniques of communicative language teaching:
- Contextualization is a basic foundation in communicative language teaching method.
- Generally, students are being encouraged to intermingle with others through pair and group work, or in their writings.
- Teacher helps the learners in any way that stimulates them to work with the language.
- Translation practice may be used where learners need it.
- The desired goal is communicative aptitude.
- Coherent pronunciation is required.
- The most used educational model applied in the context of the Communicative Method is the Functional-Notional method.
- Learners not only learn the second language but they also learn strategies for understanding.
- Pair-work, group-work, etc. are more valued.
The Significant Advantages of Communicative Language Teaching
Well, there are numerous advantages of communicative language teaching. The holistic approach is the most important benefits of communicative language teaching. Not only it focuses on the traditional structural syllabus but also takes into reflection the dimension of communicative language.
Communicative language teaching delivers liveliness and motivation within the classroom with its learner-centred approach. The method emphasizes the interests and requirements of the learner. The communicative approach seeks out to personalise and localise language and adapt it to the interests of learners. Another most understandable advantage in communicative language teaching is that of the growth of effortlessness in the target language. The approach also leads to advances in the areas of grammatical/sociolinguistic/discourse/strategic aptitude through communication.
Role of a Teacher in Communicative Language Teaching
Well, in the 21st century educational world, the teacher is no longer an instructor only. The teacher is actually an organizer who must create an environment encouraging to learning. Some crucial guidelines for planning communicative activities in an ESL classroom:
- The learning activities should be learner-centred that make daily involvement.
- The importance should be on language practice, not language study.
- Communication must be decisive and feedback must be given effectively.
- Authentic communication must be there.
- Pair and group work are advantageous.
- The basic communication skills should be integrated into each lesson efficiently.
- Fluency should be in the focus more than accurateness.
- Complete awareness of the apt socio-cultural language forms is a must.
- Highlight the social practices of the language.
- Assimilate speaking, listening, reading and writing.
The ESL learners with different backgrounds have experienced language in diverse ways. The communicative language teaching approach is great for transitional and advanced learners. TEFL course prepares the ESL/EFL teaching professionals to meet all the necessary criteria in any global language learning classroom.
Language is a structure of communication that depends on verbal or non-verbal encryptions to transfer information. Therefore, the Communicative English is necessary which is being used day-to-day lives.